In this tutorial, I want to share with you only one way to get backlinks for your small business blog. Obviously, there are many more ways to do this but the following method proved to me to be very easy and quick to do.
So let us begin…. Why would you want to do blog commenting and why would you want other people comment on your blog? Let’s be honest… it is no fun to write until you get blue in the face with no feedback. A personal blog is actually a journal where you pin down your own life experiences but a business blog is a tool to communicate with your readers. If you therefore don’t get any response on your blog posts small business owners may feel they are wasting their time. However, let us look at the benefits of blogging and commenting.
What are the Benefits of Blogging?
What is a Backlink?
Why Does Your Small Business need Backlinks??
Why is Blog Commenting an Effective Back-Linking Tool?
Installation Instructions for CommentLuv on WordPress (self-hosted sites only)?
Installation Instructions for Blogger (this is a bit more complicated but follows along)
Did You Find this Tutorial Helpful?
- Business blogging helps your business to rank in search engines.
- When ranking in search engines, people are more likely to find your business when searching for your particular product.
- With your small business blog, you position yourself as a thought leader in your particular niche.
- It is also a place where you can do soft selling with strategic calls-to-action in order to generate leads.
As part of your overall marketing strategy, you want to retain your readers and engage with them further with your content. Blog comments is just such an avenue where you can engage with your readers to found out what are their expectations of certain products, how do they perceive your brand etc….
Simply put a backlink is a link on a website that leads back to another website.
The more backlinks you have to your website, and the higher quality those backlinks are, the higher its rankings in the SERP’s will be…which ultimately drives more traffic to your site.
- When commenting on other blogs, you are able to get links back to your blog.
- You can get new readers and ultimately new eyeballs to your offers.
- By blog commenting you can find guest blogging opportunities to strengthen your blogging community
- You are building your authority on a particular subject and will eventually be the thought leader in that niche.
- You may learn something new about a certain subject, put your own spin on it and present it to your blogging community.
Keeping informed, driving traffic to your site, increasing reader engagement and building a community are all important reasons why commenting on other blogs really matter. Provided you leave valuable feedback each time, blog commenting can be an effective way to grow your following, your social presence, and ultimately your business.
Ok now that we’ve covered all the benefits of blog commenting let us take a closer look at why I recommend a plugin CommentLuv to simplify the commenting process.
- You give something back to the blogger that leaves a comment by including a titled link for their last blog post.
- The plugin fetches the feed while they type their comment and extracts the last blog post title. When they submit their comment, the last blog post link gets added on the end of their comment for all to see
- You set it up and you provide effectively a service that many serious bloggers will love and covet without any work from you.
- Create account here: http://comluv.com (not necessary but preferably)
- On the Main Menu bar look for “Download”
- Download the zip file
- Go to your dashboard on your WordPress site
- Hover over Plugins and click on Add New and in the next window Upload from the menu bar.
- Locate the file you just downloaded from ComLuv and choose install.
- Go to Plugin page and activate the plugin
- Go to Settings and click on CommentLuv
- Configure your settings for Comment Luv
- Go to your dashboard on your WordPress site
- Hover on Plugin and select on Add New
- On the next screen type “Comment Luv” in the search bar and select “search plugins”
- Find the Comment Luv plugin on the next screen and choose Install
- Active the plugin – go to Settings and configure Comment Luv settings
- First go to http://intensedebate.com/ and create an account – it is free
- In your blogger dashboard select on Template
- On the next screen locate the “Backup/Restore” button and click that
- On the popup select Download Full Template
- Save it to an easy to locate place i.e. desktop
- Go to your Intense Debate account
- Choose on Settings and then on Account – configure your account here – add your blogger url and Blog Title and save it.
- Click on Plugins and Activate Comment Luv
- Under Tools select Reinstall and scroll to point 5 – Click on browse and upload the file you have just downloaded from Blogger here.
- Select the Upload file and Continue button
- On the next popup highlight all the code and copy it to your clipboard.
- Go now to your Blogger dashboard – you should still be on the Template screen and select just underneath your template the Edit HTML button
- Highlight all the code on the next screen and paste the code on your clipboard
- Click save and you are done
- Check that everything is working fine.
As you can see CommentLuv helps you place a link back to your site without you doing anything other than just set it up. Mostly links in comments are no-follow links with very little SEO value for your site, but with this plugin you can work around that as well. Just configure the plugin to make certain that you use the do-follow feature and the SERP’s will follow your link back to your site.